Make Scented Pressed Flower Dough Magnets / Ornaments / Beads / Rocks With the Kids
Making Magnets With Pressed Flowers
This is a super easy project and kids love it! 4 year old Bryan made these magnets with very little help using pressed ferns, paper punch outs, and some essential oil to make them smell great. He even made some with his photograph to give as presents.
To make ornaments embed a string or ribbon for hanging into the dough before it hardens. This makes a nice piece of scented kiddie art to hang in a car or closet.There are many ways to make your dough. I'll share my two favorite recipes. the directions are the same for either recipe.
- 1/2 cup of flour
- 1/2 cup of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of essential oil
- 2/3 cup of boiling water
How to Make White Clay:
- 1 cup bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
- 1/2 cup corn starch
- 3/4 cup of hot water
- Silver or gold glitter (optional)
- Mix the dry ingredients, then add essential oil, then hot water.
- When cool enough to handle, add food color or acrylic paint, 1 or 2 drops at a time, making solid colors or marbleizing the dough.
- Shape into little balls for beads, model into shapes, flatten for magnets, or roll out and use cookie cutters for ornaments. Have the kids come up with ideas.
- To make beads, poke a hole through the dough while it's still soft with a pin or straightened paper clip.
- The dough will harden after sitting several days in a warm dry area. To speed this up, place them on a cookie sheet in the oven set at the lowest setting.
- This recipe can be used for other craft projects like potpourri, sachets, jewelry, air fresheners, ornaments, beads and magnets... use your imagination!
- A little corn meal in place of the some of the flour adds texture.
It occurred to me, as I write this, that Bryan loves those little wiggle eyes, so someday very soon we'll make some critter magnets using this recipe and wiggle eyes. He wants to make some more with pressed flowers too.
© Copyright 1992 - 2015 Preserved Gardens and Anne Post - All rights reserved.
No part including images, photos or text may be used for any reason without written permission.
Use Request and/or License Agreement for Images and Other Data